Saturday, January 29, 2005

When the going gets tough

Well dear readers, things here in Knitville are a little on the edge. (I can't go into details because that would be telling) But when things get tough, the tough get knitting. And that is exactly what I have been doing. I saw a scarf in the Knit It magazine that I bought, that used a yarn that I already had and one that I didn't. So I went and bought the one that I didn't and then followed the directions. Well, can you sense it coming, folks? A disaster. Oh my! Did this scarf turn out ugly or what? It used a ribbon yarn and a chenille (Did I spell that right?) It looked cute in the picture, but in real life? What a dog! Argh!

So I spent one day's knitting time working on that piece of garbage, when what I really wanted to work on was this mohair poncho. I bought some Patons Divine mohair in Richest Rose and am making this poncho. I have no idea if it will look good or not because the real project called for Lion Brand Moonlight Mohair. Now folks I looked at the Moonlight Mohair and I just didn't see a color I liked. I love purple, but the purple had rainbow metallic all over it. Not for me, to say the least. The blue was nicer ,but. So I went with the Patons. Well the Patons is a bit fuzzier than the Moonlight Mohair so we will see. The poncho is supposed to be sort of a mesh looking thing knit on large needles. Well so far it is, but is somewhat fuzzier than the original. But I really have loved working with the Divine. I really like the Richest Rose. The color reminds me of raspberries. So I keep trying to think of another name for it, like Raspberry Cream, or Raspberry Mousse. Something light and frothy made out of raspberries, but I really don't like either of those names. Anyone have any other ideas? I seem to be out of creativity right now.(Not too surprising considering)

Don't you love dark hints? Any way, if the poncho turns out you will see a picture of it up here shortly as I have been a knitting fool and am almost finished with it. You know, when I really like a yarn and the project it just flies! My significant other says I knit with a little smile on my face.

But, when I was knitting that ugly scarf it was like pulling teeth. Well, my dream yarn is some of that Debbie Bliss alpaca/silk stuff. Sooooo soft. My LYS has some for I think eight dollars a ball(US of course). Not bad, but I want to make a sweater and that would take 10. Not in the budget right now. So I will dream and visit the yarn as often as I can. (Did I mention folks that I can walk to my LYS.) Please don't hate me.

So, I still haven't finished my tam, nor started anything else that I said I would. The mohair called to me. SO, gotta go for now dear readers, happy knitting!:)

1 Comments:

Blogger Lis said...

As my orange legwarmer project will demonstrate, Divine is... divine. To work with. I am completely in love with this yarn. I'm not a fan of the Moonlight Mohair either, personally, and I think that the Divine will make a much nicer fabric to wear.

My orange Divine is called Orangina, but I think it should be called Orange Creamsicle. I don't know about your Raspberrry... but I can relate ;)

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter