Friday, April 07, 2006

Knitting as Science

You know,Dear Readers, it occured to me that knitting is like science. Yeah, I know, everyone talks about knitting as being so creative. But coming from someone who is creative on a regular basis, I see the science in knitting. We all know there is a lot of math involved in both science and knitting. But there is more than just math. There are theories and calculations. There is balancing these equations like in chemistry. There is biology involved. Physics, algebra. For example, take the sweater I am knitting for my brother. First I had to come up with a theory. Will this yarn choice with this pattern idea work. And the biology, does my brother wear wool. What other yarn fiber will work with my theory. Maybe cotton is too heavy. Then I had to experiment. To get the ribbing to work, to make the cable design work. The calculations for the decreases and how many cable designs will fit nicely on the sweater. Then I decide if the theory worked or didn't. Do you begin to see the science? How many of our children will become scientists through knitting? Who knows? But it is an interesting theory. Happy knitting dearies!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter