Thursday, October 13, 2005

Happy Happy Aniversary

Well, dear Readers, I have been knitting for a year now. I really don't know the exact date, but I know it was at the end of September. I have learned a lot and yet there is so much still to learn.

One thing I like about knitting is that two people can make the same pattern and the item can come out totally different because of yarn choice, or color. Or one person decides to turn that poncho/capelet into a skirt. That is sooooo cool about knitting. I saw a picture of Martha Stewart's new show and she had like 20 people who had made her coming home poncho. Each poncho looked so different it was hard to believe it was the same pattern.

Well, and then there is yarn. I really like yarn. Just looking at it. We got some beautiful yarn in the shop. Somekind of merino, alpaca, something. Beautiful. All the colors just gorgeous. It's called Terra, but don't remember the name of yarn company. And we got some Cascade 220 Quatro in. The colors were fabulous and the yarn was soft (for wool anyway) I love Cascade 220 yarn. I wish I could wear wool. I am almost willing to move somewhere cold just to knit myself a wool sweater. (I have to wear a turtleneck under it so it doesn't itch me.)

But merino wool is another story. I really think I could wear that. He he. We got some Suri Merino in from Plymouth. A merino alpaca blend. Oh my is this nice yarn. I highly recomend it. And the price is right at like $5 US a ball. (for 110 yds) Oh and Aurora 8 from Karabella. Very soft. Like butter. But it is a higher price. Can't remember how much exactly.

Today one of the teachers at the shop said something I thought very interesting, so I will pass it on to you. She said you should always have three projects (at least, this is my addition) One fairly simple one you don't really have to concentrate on. One that you are almost finished with. (And I take this to mean a sweater or something that takes a bit more time to make. So that you can work on it from time to time.) And finally something that challenges you. Like one that uses a new technique or new stitch you don't know. Or color work, etc.

Well what do you think? I did this unconciously. I have a sweater, and I like to always have a fuzzy, easy scarf on the needles. And then my hard stuff is the lace knitting. At least for now. Until I make myself that cool Fair Isle vest I've always wanted. He He. Oh and hats, :( I have yet to make one for myself that is right. The first one I made went to my neighbor as the color and the style were wrong for me. And the second one, sigh, is a little too big. I do have the world's smallest head. It's like a kids size. Sigh.

Knitting is a lot like life really. So many choices of yarn and pattern. Then there is getting gauge. And following the directions and making minor (or major adjustments) to suit you better. Only in knitting if you aren't satisfied with the results you can always frog it and try again. ;)

Well, dearies, enough for today. Happy Knit'n Y'all!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Lis said...

I would agree. At least 3 at all times. Now if only I could keep it at 3.

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter